first meetings were held in the Aldergrove Opera House
until the Aldergrove Elks Hall (above) was built in
85 Years of Making Our Community A Better Place
Aldergrove Elks Lodge # 66 received its charter on
June 23rd, 1923 with a membership of forty gentlemen.
charter members, one was Sam Dragan, who not quite of
age, was needed to make up the fourty required for constitution.
The membership, then as now, was made up of many prominent
citizens of Langley, Aldergrove and Matsqui, among them
were R.A. Payne, Sam Campbell, Art Ross, Ed Dobson, Goodman
Hamre and Harold Endacott.
first meetings were held in the Aldergrove Opera House until
the Aldergrove Elks Hall was built in 1925. Sam Campbell,
Chief Customs and Immigration officer at Aldergrove Customs,
was the first Exalted Ruler of the Lodge, and since that
time there have been fifty-two Exalted Rulers, the present
one being John Jackman who is the fifty-third.
its inception, the lodge has always been active in helping
the community by giving Christmas Cheer Hampers to the needy,
the annual Christmas Tree celebration, and running a successful
bingo hall for many years until the operation was turned
over to the Lions Club.
the past seventy-five years, there have been a number of
other community support projects sponsored by the Lodge,
including local junior sports teams, starting with the Aldergrove
Elks Senior B softball team which was runner-up in the provincial
playoffs of 1948 to today's Aldergrove and Abbotsford Minor
Baseball, Football and Hockey teams; as well as funding
scholarships at Aldergrove Secondary School.